Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Diolch am ddarllen fy ffrindiau hwn

A 6 AM walk for me turned into a hike up Conwy Mountain when I discovered a trail off of the road.  Nobody else was up when I left, so I just went on my own.  Next time I go here, I will definitely take students up here (not at 6 AM).  A few surprises awaited me - an iron age fort (2300 years old) circled the peak,  sheep were grazing in the meadows, and wild horses (well, maybe not wild, but on their own with no humans around) were also chewing grass amongst the purple heather.  Trails in the UK routinely go through farmers fields - by the time I got back to the hostel, I had mud and other stuff halfway up my legs!

We all went up to the highest point in Wales on an 1896 rack and pinion train - Snowdon Peak was, unfortunately, completely enshrouded in clouds.  It wasn't raining, it was just wet, because we were standing in a cloud.  But there was a nice cafe at the top to warm up in with a cup of tea.  We basically took up the whole train, and had a lot of fun on the ride despite the lack of view.

Back in Conwy, the town we are staying in, we had time to explore the Conwy Castle, walk the city walls, and go for fish and chips by the bay.  Some of the kids, (or "plants" in Welsh) went into the smallest house in Britain - unbelievable a very tall fisherman was its last resident.


Tough sheep of Wales

Wild Horses on Conwy Mountain

High above Conwy Bay

The Conwy Castle on the left

They stood their ground

What are you lookin' at?

The city Conwy from the city walls

On the walls

Walking the walls actually involves a lot of hills

You could not fit half of these guys in that house at once.

Brian rocks the boat

Tim tests the water of Conwy Bay

Big Buoy of the Bay

Sam, almost at the peak of Snowdon

What it's like to stand in a cloud - on the summit of Snowdon

On one of the towers of Caernarforn Castle

With the summit of Snowdon behind us


The noble folks of Conwy Castle


In the middle the Kitchen Tower of Conwy Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment